Two of the Territory's major cultural institutions are combining forces
Two of the Territory’s major cultural institutions are combining forces. From 16 September 2019, the Northern Territory Library and NT Archives Service will become a new branch within the Department of Tourism, Sport and Culture: Library & Archives NT.
Both organisations have a long track record of collecting, sharing and preserving the Territory’s rich and unique history. By bringing together our expertise, collections, systems and sites we are seeking to deliver better services both to Territorians, and all those outside the Territory with a connection to our past, present and future.
We will still be delivering all of our current services, including
• Comprehensive collecting of the Territory’s documentary heritage
• Managing the NT Government’s archives
• Events, education programs and exhibitions, including the A Territory Story exhibition at Parliament House
• Making collections accessible in digital format through Territory Stories and our digitisation program
• Providing services and support for the Territory’s public library sector
• Delivering a Parliamentary Library Service to the Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory
The process of coming together will be considered and staged, and on Day 1 you are likely to see little change – but the difference in the accessibility of our collections and the quality of our services will be noticeable in the months and years ahead.
Got any questions? Feel free to get in touch via LibraryArchivesNT@nt.gov.au